Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Three e's

Well initially I was thinking how is this article any different than what we have already read. But what I did find was very nice was Merrill stating how problem-based and problem-centered are different. I think that I would have considered problem-based, as part problem-centered and not actually making the students solve a problem.

But moreover from that, Merrill gives us a really good description of problem-center, Effective peer interaction, and technology enhanced interface. The problem-centered we have already covered. Effective peer interaction really just outlines that there needs to be a mutual push and pull from partners, and the collaboration is what makes it very good. Technology enhanced interface really shows how to incorporate media into presentations.

My critique on this ariticle would be that it does not seem to be e-learning driven. How can students pull the information to themselves? I recently read another article in which elearning should not be linear but more where the learner can focus on what they don't really understands, and then they can create how the information builds on the previous. I will have to find that article for everyone. But that is my one critique.

4 comments:

  1. I have to wonder, not having read the article in a couple weeks, was this article supposed to be e-learning driven, or was it just on the three e's for effective instruction, whether online or not? I'll have to go back and look later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the definition of problem-centered was extremely helpful. I alos would have considered problem-centered and problem-based as the same. I think that the list of assignments that all problems should include was helpful for my own thinking of instructional learning problems.

    I think Kristen is correct in that this article was written as a means for including First Principles in either an online or face-to-face context.

    However, I would enjoy reading the article you are talking about!

    ~Mikah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention the problem-based versus problem-centered discussion in my summary, but this was something I found interesting as well. People often use the two interchangeably and it was interesting to see how Merrill distinguishes between the two concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Per Kristen and Micah's question: I wondered about how applicable the article was to elearning as well. See my blog post this week for a dissection of Merrill's failings.

    ReplyDelete