Monday, May 9, 2011

David Merrill, Matt Barclay and Andrew van Schaak (2008): Prescriptive Principles for Instructional Design.

In this article Merrill at al. start by discussing the First Principles of Instruction. As I was reading this article one thing remained in the back of my mind. This is Blooms Taxonomy! It really is not, but the same similar pyramid can be created. Starting at the bottom you build the stepping stones by activating. Then soon after that you demonstrate. Then apply. Then integrate. It is that simple!

If only it were. We are also talking about computers in this course, so although you can easily activate, sometimes it might be hard to demonstrate, or apply, and finally try integrating. I have been doing some reviews of online courses and found the first principles have not been applied.

So Merrill goes on and talks about other instructional models. At Harrison they are trying to get the SME's to understand how courses online work. So they do basics when showing how course objectives are at a higher level then lesson objectives, and how they have to be measurable. They outline this by using Traditional Curriculum Sequence, which is the easiest for non-ID educated people to understand.

I kind of find this to be better as a working document between the ID and the SME as an initial course layout. Kind of a blue print you could call it. From there I think the design document could be created, then the course can be developed and designed.

2 comments:

  1. Brittany,
    I found myself thinking of Bloom's Taxonomy as well while reading this article! With your job, you definately have first-hand experience on determining if the First Principles of Instruction are being used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany,
    Thanks so much for bringing up Bloom's Taxonomy; that's very helpful for me in decoding much of what Merrill et al are talking about. I think I had Bloom in the back of my mind as I read but couldn't quite put my finger on what sounded familiar.
    You might be aware that there's now a Bloom's Digital Taxonomy; it's easily Googled, but here's a link to a wiki on it:
    http://edorigami.wikispaces.com/Bloom's+Digital+Taxonomy

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete